Emotional wellbeing is just as important as physical wellbeing. In fact, emotional health can affect physical health and vice versa. Therefore, to achieve optimal wellbeing, it is important to address both.
Mental health is a subject that historically has not been talked about openly and, as a result, many people have suffered in silence.
Fortunately, discussion of mental health issues and focus on the predominance of mental health problems in society has increased in recent years. No longer is it reserved for a medical appointment, a counselling session or a support group. It is becoming more natural and accepted to acknowledge these struggles in an open manner.
This is a very positive step because mental health concerns such as depression, anxiety, fear, stress and worry are proving to be far more prevalent in today’s society than previously thought. They can also affect anyone at any time and for a variety of reasons. The onset can be slow and insidious or quick and obvious. Either way the impact on the individual and their loved ones can be significant.
Being aware of how you are feeling and acknowledging that you are struggling emotionally can be beneficial for everyone in the long run.
Bringing mental health concerns into the open and addressing the problem means that you are in a better position to receive the help you need and return to a state of health and happiness. This benefits you as well as those around you.
Some indications that you are experiencing poor emotional health include:
- Feelings of stress, worry and anxiety that do not subside
- Difficulty relaxing
- A sense of overwhelm
- Mood fluctuations
- Emotional outbursts
- Frequent low mood or crying
- Poor sleep quality and quantity
The impact of stomal surgery on emotional wellbeing
Stomal surgery can be a large and life-changing operation with many possible pitfalls, and the outcome for individuals can vary depending on many factors. The process of undergoing and then recovering from stomal surgery can momentarily take the light out of life for some people. And it may be necessary to make major adjustments, both physically and mentally, afterwards.
Stomal surgery can affect body image and self confidence in ways that other surgeries do not. There may be significant psychological adjustments to make after the physical healing is complete. You can feel overwhelmed and insecure about so many things, such as how to cope with the new circumstances, what your life is going to be like from now on, what the future holds etc. There can be a lot of uncertainty.
However, these thoughts and feelings don’t need to dominate your life or last forever. It is important to become comfortable with your new sense of self in order to live a full and happy life as an ostomate. It is possible to accept all the positive aspects of having a stoma and embrace the new opportunity.
Introducing MAP to the Ostomate Community
The term MAP stands for MANIFESTING ALL POSSIBILITIES®. It is an innovative new method in the field of psychology that finds and clears subconscious blocks that are preventing you from leading a happy and successful life. It neutralises stress, doubts, worries and fears and re-wires your brain over time for more satisfaction and less pain.
This process helps the brain to focus on ease and comfort rather than dwell on doubts and fears. Worry and uncertainty can have a negative impact on the process of adapting to the new circumstances after stomal surgery, and can sabotage successful adjustment to life as an ostomate. This approach can help you to work through your emotions and move forward in your life with more confidence and certainty.
MAP is carried out during a consultation which can be conducted online or in person. The mind needs to be prepared for the sessions, so pre-training is required which is completed by watching a video and listening to an audio session.
Mindful meditations are then used during the sessions which creates a gentle, relaxed environment. You are asked to focus on the issue that is causing you concern, and a series of instructions are given to your subconscious mind to help clear and neutralise negative emotions around the issue. The progress and degree of success of the method are measured by you during the session. A second type of meditation is also used to re-wire your brain over time towards more satisfaction and happiness.
This process therefore helps the brain to focus on comfort and success rather than dwell in doubts and fears. Doubts and fears can impede progress towards health and happiness, so this approach can help you to work through your emotions and move forward in life with more confidence and ease. It is most beneficial to have a series of sessions to provide the opportunity for deeper clearing of negative emotions and create greater momentum towards future goals. Self-help strategies are also provided so you can continue the process between sessions.
MAP is a private, painless and gentle technique that can be conducted from the comfort and seclusion of your own home. You are relaxed, awake, aware and in control of the process the entire time. You can also measure the results for yourself.
This service is a unique opportunity to address any fears and emotions you may have regarding becoming an ostomate using a new approach based on recent breakthroughs in neuroscience. It also provides a means of reducing other worries and concerns that are creating stress, anxiety and emotional upset.
MAP sessions can be of benefit to partners and family members of ostomates as well to ensure the transition is embraced by all. Sessions are available to ostomates and the general public both within Australia and overseas, and is a powerful, positive process that can change your life.
Menu of Services
Individual MAP Session – $150.00 AUD (1 hour)
- A one-off MAP session that enables you to gain relief from an immediate emotional concern such as a fear or phobia. An ideal opportunity to neutralise general stress and worry. This service is offered online and in person.
Package of 4 MAP Sessions – $495.00 AUD (1 hour each)
- A package of four MAP sessions paid in advance which provides the opportunity to address a wider range of concerns over four consecutive sessions that can be scheduled at your own pace. This service is offered online and in person. Extra tools and strategies will be provided as an additional means of support between sessions.
Package of 6 MAP Sessions – $660.00 AUD (1 hour each)
- A package of six MAP sessions paid in advance and scheduled at your own pace that provide an opportunity to clear mental blocks that are preventing you from leading a happy and successful life. This package provides the greatest opportunity for a permanent shift in perspective that can create lasting change and the greatest degree of emotional health and harmony. This service is offered online and in person. Extra tools and strategies will be provided as an additional means of support between sessions.
Preparing for Surgery – $395.00 AUD
- Stomal surgery can be a daunting prospect for some people. There is a lot of information to integrate as well as many emotions to navigate. It can all be very overwhelming. This package of three MAP sessions can help to ease the worries and concerns regarding the surgery and focus the mind on a successful outcome. Reducing stress and calming the mind can also help with the process of healing and recovery after the surgery. It is recommended that at least two of the sessions be scheduled prior to the surgery.
If you would like to find out more about any of the above packages or have a general question about MAP sessions, please use the Booking Button below to schedule a FREE 15 minute video call in which I can explain more about MAP and we can discuss what you would like to address and how you would like your life to change.
Book Free 15 Min Video Call
Margaret is an awesome facilitator – everything is cleared with total ease and flow.
I would recommend MAP to anyone – it has helped me professionally and personally.
Thank you. Your efforts are truly appreciated.